By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Have You Ever Been Taken To Court?

M

Mike Turner

A friend of mine is currently being taken to court for sexual discrimination in the office. I've heard his side of the story and it just sounds like it's been blown out of all proportion, but it has got to court all the same. I was just wondering whether anybody here has any kind of experience of going to court, what it was like, and whether there are any tips for him with regards to how to handle it? Thanks.

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

I haven't, but are you sure you've heard the full and true story? The only reason I ask is because it takes quite a lot for things to get to court, so they must feel as though they have more than the evidence that they need to be able to come to a conclusion. I do hope that he has people who are willing to speak up on his side, because the prosecution team must have done their homework and think they're in with a chance of winning.

P

Pete Brindle

The only advice I'd give is that you should get as much legal advice as possible, so that you know where you stand with the likelihood that you'll be found guilty, etc. Some people will try anything to get a bit of money in their pocket, so there is a chance that this is what is happening with the allegations here. Just follow the system, and try to be as truthful and as helpful as you possibly can, at all times.

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

Just follow the system, and try to be as truthful and as helpful as you possibly can, at all times.

This is solid advice Pete. Even if there are tiny untruths that you think you'd be able to get away with, I honestly wouldn't advise you to do so, because if they find out that you've lied about things, even if they're only little tiny things, they're much less likely to believe you about anything else that you've said to them.

P

Pete Brindle

This is solid advice Pete. Even if there are tiny untruths that you think you'd be able to get away with, I honestly wouldn't advise you to do so, because if they find out that you've lied about things, even if they're only little tiny things, they're much less likely to believe you about anything else that you've said to them.

Precisely. Right from the word "go", if you want to be taken seriously at all, you have to do everything that you possibly can to make yourself seem like an honest and trustworthy person. Even if you think something might not particularly help your case, it's better that it comes from you than from someone else later.

M

Mike Turner

Thank you for the advice everyone, I will certainly pass it on. The only problem is that he has tried to hide one small thing that happened that he didn't think would be much to do with the case, so now he's a bit worried in case it comes out. Do you think he should leave it and hope for the best, or own up and let the court know what happened before somebody else gets the chance to tell them?