By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Growth of Social Media

Isobel1407

I'm wondering what thoughts members might have on the use of social media in business: whether it be allowing employees access to social networks, protecting brand reputation online or using social media as part of a marketing strategy?

Would be interested in any thoughts/opinions/questions that people may have.

Many thanks,

Isobel
agency:2, the social media agency

Canary Dwarf

Canary Dwarf

My take has always been that if we allow our staff to talk to colleagues, make tea, have cigarettes, etc, then what's the difference in allowing them access to social networks.

If staff are able to do their job, and still have the odd chat online, I believe that's fair. But they shouls also not miss the opportunity to use the networks to, as you suggest, to market and protect the brand, and they must get training in this, so they do it right.

Adventurelife

Adventurelife

I have two conflicting views on social media. One is that it is a huge opportunity for small business to raise their game and expand their reach resulting in new business and better service.

My other view is that way to many SME owners see it as the magic pill and spend way to much of their valuable time on it with no measurable results.

My advice for what it is worth is that SME owners should see social media as the icing on the cake but the cake better be a good one already.

If you business is well run with all the basics taken care off and growing profitably at a good rate then you have some time to experiment with social media. If these basics are not covered and you get involved in social media you are being diverted from what will make you business solid and will get sucked into a holy grail chase that does have the chance of a big win but so does the lottery.

At the end of the day all social media does is allow people to communicate with more people than they were able to do before. Which on the face of it is a huge opportunity but what I am seeing from many business owners is just wasted effort when they should be doing other things.

It has it's place but at this stage it should only be a small % of your marketing mix.

With regards to letting staff use it, I have no issues with that even though it comes with risks but that will be dictated by the businesses as for some businesses it s not suitable at all for staff to use it.

Peter