By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

growing your own forum

frockery

frockery

SBF seems to be growing slowly but steadily, which is encouraging and undoubtedly the best way for such entities to develop.

I am a member of a number of real life networking groups and just wondered if any thought had been given to leaflets/publicity materials that we could each hand out at the various networking events we attend? The next one I am going to is in Dundee next Thursday and I will certainly mention SBF to other attendees. In the past I have found some reluctance among colleagues to get stuck into UK wide forums which, as I think Sandra mentioned, tend to be focused on businesses in far flung parts of England.

Might it also be useful to have a Facebook Group for SBF to further publicise its existence? I have found Facebook a useful networking tool for my own business, and some other forums (which will remain nameless) have already created their own groups to good effect.

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Alison,

I appreciate you taking some time to make some comments. I was actually about to put something in the private forum trying to get some views on how to ramp things up.

Regarding offline networking groups. One of the first things I did was to contact all the offline groups in advance of this forum being launched. I dont think any of them even replied to my emails. Dont get me wrong I actually think it could work very well and I was disappointed that no one seemed to get the connection. I'm happy to discuss what publicity materials you think would work best and will provide them to any one who wants to distribute them. If it's something a few people would do them i'm also willing to look at some sort of referral bonus or prize if people think it would help.

I have to confess to being completely naive to facebook. I know it's a social networking site but not much more. I'm willing to be educated on this and if it's something that could prove useful then again i'm open to doing something.

In terms of what's going on behind the scenes, I'm hoping to have the new theme for the site up in the next week, this should make the site more homely. I'm hoping to start a bi-monthly newsletter and have also recorded a few podcasts and continue to look for more to record. In addition to the forums I hope to have a Wordpress blog which will promote the podcasts and have latest posts from the forum also.

I'm keen to make sure I take on as many ideas as possible, it's also important that people start to value the site and keep coming back to share their experiences and ask for advice. I'll stop talking now :)

Brian McIntosh

I wouldn't mind some input in to how applications like facebook can be used to promote business, especially mine. If you've any ideas Alison I'd be happy to listen. What meeting are you attending in Dundee?

stugster

stugster

Verified Member
It really depends on how many business-people are using Facebook for networking. I don't know *that* many in comparison to friends, and I know even fewer Scottish Facebookers.

What about using Linked-In to get some more involvement?

Im happy to distribute flyers/cards around when I go to seminars/meetings.

frockery

frockery

I find Facebook and MySpace useful for a certain subset of my customer base, mainly because I have kids who are early 20s and know that scene quite well. I get a fair bit of business through the young set as well as the more mature vintage market which I am more comfortable with (having lived it!)

On the RL networking front, the next Dundee event I am going to is this coming Thursday's Women in Business meeting which is focusing on ebusiness, so I will happily hand out leaflets if you have any, . Failing that, I will just tell people about SBF (good Scots tongue in the head and all that!) :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Alison,

I dont have any literature prepared as i'm yet to finalise the new logo and theme. Once these are done i'll get all your ideas and we can agree on what type of media is most appropriate.

frockery

frockery

I'll just wing it then and tell folk to come and find us. We really could do with a few more women on here! :D

I have been known to dabble in the dark art of PR, and have some good contacts in the field, so just let me know if I can be of assistance.

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Alison any help you can give would be appreciated. I would agree that we need a better balance of male and female. I have a few people ask me about becoming moderators, I dont know if that would interest you?

I'd like to build this into a thriving community and resource but i'd also like to have some fun etc along the way. Always willing to talk to people about taking things forward.

frockery

frockery

I am very committed a Scotland orientated business forum (as things are different here!),so happy to help in any way I can. Hopefully by the time we meet up in May, we will all have some ideas to throw into the mix. :)

Latest Posts

Associates

Large Scale Plastic Moulding
Dexion Pallet Racking