By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

green space

S

stressmom

Is the issue of preserving the environment a big issue in the UK? It is certainly growing here in the United States yet there are still those who say that maintaining "green space" is hindering growth in certain areas. I say who gives a. . . we have to protect the environment. What is the feeling about this in Scotland?

gamecockfan

My overall feeling about the whole issue is that those who say global warming is not a reality really have their heads up their a****! Trees give back so much more to the environment than a paved parking lot ever will. When will people begin to realize this? When we do not have any green space left anymore?

stugster

stugster

Verified Member
Yup... it's sad to see our Green Belts going.

There was a fantastic Docu-movie by Al Gore "An Inconvenient Truth". Some startling information in there about the environment and global warming. Well worth a watch!

S

stressmom

An Inconvenient Truth was a great documentary. . . for anyone who has not seen this you must!

Gosh it's dark up here in my colon....

Personally I think the whole Global Warning thing is a croc of ****

We're doing a lot of the right things for the wrong reasons. It strikes me that much of the initiative is designed to raise the price/tax-ability of oil and lead us down the road of ever more increasingly rabid consumerism....

It bemuses me how keen the tree-huggers are to embrace new technologies. I filmed a bunch of these dippy-hippies for CNN during the festival last year. Each and EVERY one of them equipped with the latest mobile phone and all swapping stories about how many months they'd had the last one.... On transport the Toyota Pius for instance will, when you do the whole equation, be one of the filthiest most polluting cars on the planet. Why? It has a short life span; it's batteries, motors and control systems are ROTTEN with pollutants...

The weather patterns I'm seeing now are EXACTLY those I recall from my mid-teens. And I remember well how older folk were saying they'd experienced the same thing in the 1940's ...a 30-year cycle in other words!

Don't get me wrong; we need to reign back on oil dependency simply because the damn stuff is running out! We need to stop throwing stuff away and focus more on sustainable technologies simply because you can't go on endlessly consuming consuming consuming.... But the whole green agenda as it's sold to the great unwashed isn't about any of those things...

ahop23

I have never heard that about the Prius but think I will look into that a little more. So if the weather patterns are exactly the same then why are we losing 1000s of miles of Arctic ice every year, and ice shelfs that scientists thought would be around for a very long time to come are expected to melt away in 20 years? Would that not hint of warmer temperatures globally?

I have never heard that about the Prius but think I will look into that a little more. So if the weather patterns are exactly the same then why are we losing 1000s of miles of Arctic ice every year, and ice shelfs that scientists thought would be around for a very long time to come are expected to melt away in 20 years? Would that not hint of warmer temperatures globally?
I recall, as a child growing up in the 60's and 70's hearing pretty much the same scares stories as go around now. Likewise I recall seeing film on TV of icebergs melting.

Back in 1977 I recall a sign on the road running to the city centre that said "Springburn" ....Some wag had added "on sea" to the bottom. T'was a very long hot summer that year! :rolleyes:

Anyone (particularly in the media) who dares cry down the sacred dogma of global warming is shouted down. Nay-saying academics simply aren't given a platform; or if they are shouted down by the baying crowd. Statistics that counter the 'we're all doomed' theory are conveniently disregarded...

The Earth's climate has been changing for millions of years and will continue to do so for millions more. We need to learn to COPE. The only inconvenient truth about global warming is that it's something that is being manipulated for political ends.

For sure we need more sustainable technologies. That means building things to last..

For instance... There's no reason why a car built today shouldn't have a lifespan of 30 years+ And no reason why the benefits of modern technologies cannot be retro-fitted to existing vehicles. Practical Classics for instance recently retro-fitted an old Austin A30 (I think!) with a moder fuel injection system. Then there's the lie of vehicle emissions. My 25 year old non-cat Porsche 924 runs CLEANER than a three year old Fiesta with a failing cat... Catalytic converters are highly polluting to manufacture...

They're 'necessary' to offset the effects of poor quality fuel running in cheaply made engines that struggle to be kept in a good state of tune. In similar vein there's no real reason to be running cars on petrol at all. Bio-fuels were a practical proposition 40 years ago; but of course THEY would put money in the pockets of farmers.. not oil companies... And of course don't have the same 'leverage' in terms of using emotional blackmail to justify screwing us all into the ground with taxation...

But Toyota would rather you bought a 'Pious'; preferably a new one every six years.... A vehicle that does MORE environmental damage than a Hummer!

The Recorder

Latest Posts

Associates

Large Scale Plastic Moulding
Dexion Pallet Racking