By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Government to monitor email and web use

• Thread starter Scottish Business Owner
  • Start date
Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

I remember the former government trying to bring in something similar to this and it had a bit of a backlash.

It seems it's on the agenda again http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17576745

Not sure if this will apply UK wide or whether Scotland will have to decide on it's own approach.

Thoughts welcome :)

Wills

Wills

Verified Member
On the national security side if it's used correctly then could save us from more 7/7 and Glasgow bombings, the thing is they will outsource it, the they will intern look for petty crimes and make money from ordinary people. A bit like private traffic wardens and clampers, give them some power and there's no stopping them.

my 2p

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

I think it's fair to say that this will meet with a fair bit of opposition. Combine this with the blockades threatened by hauliers and I think the government is in for a pretty rough ride over the next few months.

I think if it was only to ensure national security then fine but countless times we have seen government departments unable to keep sensitive data private for it then to fall into the wrong hands. I guess it brings up some interesting debates around at what point something is private. Some people even seem to be comparing this to policies adopted by Iran and China!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17582974

I think given that this has to go through both the house of commons and lords before it becomes law I think it's unlikely that this will happen very soon.

stugster

stugster

Verified Member
Those that are threatening national security know what to do to make sure their Internet traffic isn't readable by other parties. It's not difficult, in fact, we do it on a day to day basis when you establish a connection over SSL to https:// addresses.

There are hundreds of tools out there that let you completely encrypt all your traffic so that third parties can't see it.

The problem is, the Government wont be consulting with the correct people. They'll be consulting with a mate of a mate, a brown envelope, and the "consultants" will be telling the Government exactly what they want to hear, rather than the unfortunate truth that the Internet just can't be managed that way easily.

EmployEasily Legal Services

This is a great example of how the media can completely distort reality with a attention grabbing headline.

Given the fact that the police can't event tack down cyber bullies and trolls, even when they blatantly break the law and are being pursued, the prospect of them, or anyone else, being able to generally 'monitor' e-mail and web use of the general public is ridiculous.

As Stu says, the ones with things to hide know how to hide them and its these people we need to worry about, not what the surfing habits of the general public are. The CESG and other security services use various intel sources to identify potential threats to UK assets and the UK itself and already have an ability to 'monitor' what and who they need to, when necessary, in order to deter any threats.

I don't imagine the surfing habits or dubious emails of the general public would draw much, if any attention and the government spending any legislative time on it is an utter waste of tax payer's money.

Associates

Large Scale Plastic Moulding
Dexion Pallet Racking