By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Getting Motivated

nothing does

nothing does

Hey we all have those days when we would rather be sat in a beer garden or tucked up in bed. I just wondered what motivational techniques other members use on days like this.

Do you have a favorite business book you always go back to or is it that picture of an Aston Martin on your desk?

stugster

stugster

Verified Member
Clean desk :)
Strange as it sounds, but keeping my desk clear seems to improve my productivity ten-fold!

Small To-Do List
At the end of the night, I write up 5 or 6 things that I MUST do the next day. They are all achievable, and having completed these, this motivates me a bit to do more.

Set a Goal
I have a target to take in a set amount of money each month, but on top of this, I want some personal goal or prize. My eyes are currently set on my Holiday. I've paid for it, but I'm now saying to myself: "I can only go if I take X amount next month on top of the usual target".

Works a treat! :)

Oh, and lots of Coffee! :)

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

About a year ago I bought an audio series called Millionaire MBA. It's based on Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP) and I make a point of going through it every six months or so as a way of focussing on what's key.

I dont really have a motivation issue to be honest, I find business fascinating and love learning and educating myself. If I do feel down (because sometimes it can get lonely) then I will listen to some music which normally snaps me out of the lull.

:)

TomB

TomB

I know those days, today is one of them!!!

I have to say what works for me is that i do as Stuart does and write a small list of targets i want to achieve that day and then break them down into 30 minute tasks.

i then have a wee timer on my desktop that i set for 30 minutes and i work in it for 30 minutes, then take 5-10 minutes break and do something else, like post on the SBF forum, then go back and continue for another 30 mins.

It really helps me especially with the things that i really don't want to do.

I've never thought about setting goals for sales that month. I'll give that a try i think thanks Stuart!!

The Millionaire MBA looks interesting, do you find it really makes a difference after you've gone through it?

T

ahop23

I do not generally have a hard time keeping myself motivated, as it is my business and without the income I'm tanked! On the other hand it is often hard to keep employees on task. What is the best way to keep them in the process and to feel a part of the team?

Longish term it's trinkets.... I promise myself a trinket every few months .... New guitar, maybe a new watch... Fancy pen.... Something utterly vacuous rubbish that is just not justifiable and really isn't needed...

Through the day if I'm finding it difficult to focus I log onto chordie for ten minutes and noodle a bit on my guitar... Or if I'm really having a hard time take the old crate out for a run along the 'lang wang' (twisty country road just outside the village) Maybe take the dog for a walk to clear my head...

I tend to work 10-14 hours a day; but that can be peppered between about 6:30am 'till about 1am when I generally keel over. If it's a shooting day or college day it's scheduled down to the minute. Likewise if I'm editing that's generally down to a deadline; working to the clock things just get 'done'; but there's a limit to how much of that I could stand. I think a regular 9-5 would kill me....

nothing does

nothing does

Longish term it's trinkets.... I promise myself a trinket every few months .... New guitar, maybe a new watch... Fancy pen.... Something utterly vacuous rubbish that is just not justifiable and really isn't needed.......
Ahh a fellow guitar player. I've promised myself a Fender Jag by the end of the year, so this is my short term goal.

Ohh I wouldn't go so far as to claim to be able to PLAY the things...:p

As a teenager it was said of me (by one of my schoomate's Mother)....

"He doesn't so much play it as torment the poor thing 'till it give up and lets out some sort of tune"....

She wasn't wrong....:D:D

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

I actually play Tenor Saxophone and I can sing a little bit as well! I've always fancied learning the guitar but never seem to really get round to it. To be honest music is my kind of escape from everything else, I like to compose music as well and write lyrics, obviously nothing that I would let anyone hear :p but it's only one of a few things that can consume me to the extent that I can forget about other stresses for a little while.

nothing does

nothing does

With you all the way on that one. Music is my great escape too.

TomB

TomB

mine too, i play the piano and tin whistle. I most certianly always need music on when i'm working, be it classical, pop anything. my only problem is when i start singing along and then i end up typing the lyrics.

Doesn't look good in the middle of a clients contracts:

"Clear Blue Designs will endevour to shake your goove thing, shake your goove thing yeah yeah" :)

I think we definetly need a new thread the hidden talents of the sbf forum members, we all seem to have one.

We just need somebody that plays the spoons and we've got a full band!!

nothing does

nothing does

Dare I say I once really impressed some colleagues by playing the spoons while waiting for the kettle to boil. Hey you can take the lad out of the north............

Some years ago I had the sobering experience of being invited to teach in the Music and Creative Industries Department at Stow. When the department was being developed the guy in charge had a policy of bringing in folk with strong industry track records. Many of them household names... Any illusion that I could really play anything was quickly dispelled when I heard some of these guys just sitting in a corner 'noodling'...

Latest Posts

Associates

Large Scale Plastic Moulding
Dexion Pallet Racking