By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Friends and business - do they mix?

G

Goingitalone

Verified Member
I have the opportunity to start a new business with a friend but I am wary. Do friends and business mix?

E

Employer

Verified Member
While there are some exceptions to the rule, the idea of mixing friends/family with business is a high-risk one. Even in a best case scenario it will stretch your friendship/relationship to the brink and that is a successful outcome!

Bogdan.Ciocoiu

Bogdan.Ciocoiu

I would certainly not mix social relationships with business relationships. This phenomenon gets even more complicated for family businesses. Some people see value while following processes and by introducing rigour within the day-to-day activity. It poses a level of risk on the social side of the relationship if a process-driven person starts to promote rigour and strictness within the relationship. Furthermore, if you're aiming to have a robust business operating model, it will probably frustrate the social side of the relationship even more.

Bradley - SaneChoice

Bradley - SaneChoice

I certainly think there is an element of risk involved, especially around the relationship aspect as @Bogdan.Ciocoiu mentions.

However, I think it does depend on the type of 'friend' you are working with. In the early days of SaneChoice I worked with a friend who was from the same industry - he came from an Investment Bank. So the structure and 'rules' around how this would work (and the challenges and pitfall of that working relationship) were very clear from the start. As a result, it was a fruitful partnership and although he no longer works for SaneChoice, he remains a close family friend.

midemike

midemike

Verified Member
Try not to mix the two up. Friendship is friendship, business should be business.

Bogdan.Ciocoiu

Bogdan.Ciocoiu

Try not to mix the two up. Friendship is friendship, business should be business.
I completely agree. There is also something to do with transformation and power dynamics and how professional relationships may allow for a dominant one while social relationships function using a much softer power dynamic. If one mixes up the dynamics, would that not affect one of the environments?