By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Flowchart or design software required

V

visagephoto

I'm looking for a cheap software program for drawing simple (location) street maps i.e single road junctions or a single stretch of road complete with junctions etc. I don't need to produce anything too detailed, just simple street plans to accompany crime scene or RTA photographs.

Mike Lewis

Mike Lewis

Alan,

Just to be clear ....

You're not talking about extracting maps from an existing source such as Google Maps or OS. You want to draw an original map directly into the software. Is that right?

If so, Microsoft Visio is the first thing that comes to mind - except that it might be overkill for your requirements (especially given the price).

Failing that, a seach for "vector graphics" might turn up some possibilities.

Mike

V

visagephoto

Hi Mike

You're right, I'm not talking about extracting maps from existing sources (although I've been tempted) I want to draw 2D maps similar in detail to Google maps although normally only a single junction, or street/road showing layout of all relevant nearby streets, paths, junctions and roundabouts etc.

The ability to add some street furniture such as bus stops/shelters, CCTV cameras, PO boxes, bridges and maybe add some simple shapes to represent important buildings etc. would also be helpful.

I'm currently using DTP software, and while this is okay it can be time consuming and the results are maybe not as professional looking as I would like them to be.

P

profitxchange

take a look on some of the freeware/shareware sites.

L

LumleyMedia

Google has a handy free app you can do that with, i seen it being used in an architects, ill try look out the name for you.

S

Starshape

Alan,

Have you had a look at Inkscape, its an open source drawing app. that I have used in the past.

Hope this helps.

Thomas