By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

firing an employee

ahop23

Do you have to give someone a written notice that hyou are letting them go or is it perfectly legal to walk to someone, ask for the key, and tell them their services are no longer needed? I have my own small business so I am very concerned with the legalities surrounding this issue.

frockery

frockery

Agree completely with Sandra here. Be very careful or you could end up in the soup (or something far worse). Take advice - and take it early!

gamecockfan

What happened to just being able to take care of your business and telling someone that the work relationship just is not going to work out and that you need to find someone else for the position?

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

It's not as simple as that these days. As Sandra has said there are procedures and motions to go through so that you are seen to be doing things fairly. You cant simply go in one day and say hey this aint working you're out on your ear!

You must seek professional advice otherwise any tribunal could eat you alive and leave your business exposed. This aspect of law has really tightened up in the last few years so you'd do well to heed the warnings.

ahop23

Do you think that many of these types of lawsuits are frivolous and are being pushed forward due to an overall weakening economy or has this just become the nature of today's workplace and job market?

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

My experience from working in a number of companies is that the law has went a bit too far in favour of the employee. I think employers have to tread very carefully or they could face a tribunal. Sometimes they are frivolous but it costs money even to defend one so sometimes commercially it's more viable to settle then to waste time and money on fighting one.

This is why you see compromise agreements becoming more and more of the norm. Businesses would rather geat rid of someone with a golden handshake than be taken through a tribunal or have to "put up" with the employee.

Boxby

Do you think that many of these types of lawsuits are frivolous and are being pushed forward due to an overall weakening economy or has this just become the nature of today's workplace and job market?
Totally. Any employee working for a small employer is basically ensured of getting

Latest Posts

Associates

Large Scale Plastic Moulding
Dexion Pallet Racking