By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Exhibitions

• Thread starter Scottish Business Owner
  • Start date
Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

One of my clients will be attending a number of exhibitions related to their sector over the next few weeks. This will involve a significant investment in order to attend. One of the things i'm concerned with is measuring the response to attending such events.

What do you think we should be looking for in order to class the event a success? What information should we be gathering in order to follow up etc?

Any tips on making an exhibition successful :)

nothing does

nothing does

I don't have a huge amount of experience when it comes to exhibitions but I'll try and help.

If your client has a stand and is manning it they have to be as friendly as possible, pretty obvious I know but you can get some right mardy folk at these events. Avoid hard sell and just be chatty. Most people visiting exhibitions are looking for information and not out to buy there and then. NEVER leave the stand unattended. The amount of times I've been to these thing and the people I want to speak to have stuck up a 'back in 5 mins' sign!

Give people as much info as possible. Printed material is best as they can read it at the leisure and go back to it as often as they want. It's also a great reminder of who you were. Try and get something memorable and punchy.

Regarding tracking customers. You could set up a specific contact email and give that out to people who ask for contact information or ask people who get in touch after the event to tell you how they found out about you and was it because of the exhibition.

Information gathering could be done in a couple of ways. You could get people to complete a VERY simple form so you can follow up enquiries or you could have postcards with postage paid that people can take them away and fill in at a later date. I've found that people are reluctant to pay the price of a stamp!

I hope this helps a little.

David

One of my clients will be attending a number of exhibitions related to their sector over the next few weeks. This will involve a significant investment in order to attend. One of the things i'm concerned with is measuring the response to attending such events.

What do you think we should be looking for in order to class the event a success? What information should we be gathering in order to follow up etc?

Any tips on making an exhibition successful :)
This WILL sound like blatant self-promotion but many of my clients have videos made specifically for exhibition use. These can be very useful both as a draw to the stand and a means of 'anchoring' people for a few moments while the exhibitor is dealing with other matters.

Some clients use a series of short case studies punctuated by little 'commercials' and actually hand out copies of the programme along with printed material etc; good for building 'worth' into promotional materials. Depending on what you're selling a modest prize draw can be a good way of gathering contact information.

Oddly perhaps, quite a few clients use the video as a ruse to do a follow-up. They contact the people to whom they've handed them out looking for feedback as to what direction their next programme should take; this gives them the opportunity to open a dialogue with the client... I say 'oddly' because this quite often results in me getting a new client too!

Another trick I've known use is reply cards or contact details that indicate the source of the enquiry... i.e. set up a 'sales hotline' or have reply cards with some sort of indicator on them...

I suppose ultimately you need to measure how much new business exhibiting brings in. And that means legwork and baited feedback (i.e the prize draw idea etc)

Last edited by a moderator:
Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Appreciate the comments guys. The video idea is an interesting slant Matt and might be worth some thought. I guess it depends on whether we can come up with something that suits our industry. The prize is something I had already suggested but given we are selling/hiring high ticket items I think the prize has to also have perceived value. You need to make sure the people going into the draw can actually put some business your way.

Some of the other suggestions were also good so thank you both :)

Well, the thing is if you're hiring a producer THEY should be able to come up with something that suits; that's what you're paying them for. You're not (or shouldn't be) just hiring a guy with a camera; walk away from anyone who's 'services' are so pitched...

Any REAL video producer (as opposed to someone who's just 'playing' at it) will be only too happy to do a treatment (outline programme proposal) and estimate for you. If you don't like what they're proposing don't hire them!

Latest Posts

Associates

Large Scale Plastic Moulding
Dexion Pallet Racking