By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Exact match domains

• Thread starter Scottish Business Owner
  • Start date
Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Does anyone know much about this area?

Say for example I sold blue widgets to a uk market. bluewidgets.co.uk is already gone but bluewidgetsuk.co.uk is available. Does the uk on the end and the uk within the domain have the same weight when some types into google blue widgets uk?

Or on another side is exact match domains not worth worrying about. This is something that confuses me as the information that is out there is very confusing. I can see websites ranking for keywords where my "research" shows no other reason apart from the word in the domain.

Hopefully someone can lift this confusion for me :confused:

S

ScottJ

Having the perfect keyword domain is ideal and Google have confirmed they put weight on it, adding UK at the start or end is often done as a substitute as users quite often use 'UK' in search terms even when searching google.co.uk, given the choice you should pay extra and go further to get keyword.co.uk - you will then always be at an advantage to your competitors.

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

We were speaking about this last night at the meetup. Is my understanding correct that if you created a number of mini sites using exact match domains for keywords that you know get traffic that it's better if each domain sat on different hosting as Google knows if sites are on the same hosting. Stu made the point that maybe Google used the IP address to detect this is this correct? and is it also possible for your hosting company to give you different ip addresses or do you basically just need a number of hosting companies to make this work?

S

ScottJ

Yes you can get different IP's from some hosts, however there is no problem having multiple exact keyword mini sites on the same server, you can still interlink and rank them without the need to scatter them across the globe.

Having a small site with info lets the site/domain age a bit which will also help in the future, if all your backlinks just come from that one small network you may have more trouble ranking though so as long as the backlinks are relevant and not just from your network you'll be fine, imo.

I have a mini sites getting from 10 visitors per day to one getting 1500 visitors per day that are zero maintenance all at the same host.

Latest Posts

Associates

Large Scale Plastic Moulding
Dexion Pallet Racking