By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Employing Migrants

St Rhenium

St Rhenium

The government seems to be coming down hard on this lately. Now we have to check if migrants are legally entitled to live here, and even if we do and it turns out their documents were fabricated we still get fined £10,000 for employing them.

Has this affected anyone's employment strategy at all?

Allegrif

Allegrif

It's a sad state of affairs because I often find immigrants to be the hardest workers; I guess it's because a lot of them have been through a lot to get here and don't want their families to go through anything similar.

Unfortunately to protect my own backside I'd be extremely wary of employing even legal migrants now. It's just too risky a business decision.

Zarostulus

You just need to be careful and aware, that's all. Fabricated documents are easy to spot if you know what to look for. I would still have no problems employing a legal migrant - I'll hire whoever happens to be the best for the job, regardless of who that may be.