By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Domain Portfolio - Reduce Costs ? How

L

laserads.co.uk

Ok , nominet domain GOVT REGISTRY sells domains like .co.uk , and .uk ( i believe for £70 ) BUT
resellers such as 123REG, uk2 etc negotiate BULK deals for millions of purchases and pass on the savings so we could all buy domains for £3/4/5 per year etc

Prices are rising in march though to £6.99 + vat - as i understand things this is lowest price you will ever be able to buy a domain for in future per year
I have 80 .co.uk domains , eventually in next few years i will need to buy the .uk equivalents

So thats 160 domains x £6.99 ... thats £1120 a year ...arrrghhhhhhh

Any thoughts on how costs can be reduced , i like to plan ahead ?

can you run your own DNS server , is it hard ? any free DNS servers etc ? i might sound like i know what im talking about , but a LITTLE knowledge can sometimes be dangerous :- would / can this save money

Allegrif

Allegrif

Unfortunately I think it looks like you'll either have to pick up the tab for the increased cost, or reduce your number of domains. Why do you have 80 domains registered?

Businessman

Businessman

I have 80 .co.uk domains , eventually in next few years i will need to buy the .uk equivalents

...For the love of God, WHY??? Realistically you need the .com and (if you're UK based) the .co.uk There are other steps to take that help define and protect any brand you might be developing. - Really, unless one of the 'novelty' domains makes a point for you, why bother?

Needhelp

Needhelp

I agree with Matt, there is no way on earth you can buy up all of the domain name extensions and keep ahead of the game. Maybe buy the.co.uk and the.com variations but as far as the .uk and all of the variations, where does it all stop?