By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Do You Have Public Liability Cover?

Needhelp

Needhelp

I have been reading about personal injury compensation claims as a consequence of injuries received at work - do you all have public liability insurance? Have you ever been sued for compensation by an employee or customer?

Businessman

Businessman

Yes... It's absolutely ESSENTIAL to have PLI as a significant part of what I do means being out and about. there are many locations you simply cannot get into without it! Where employees are concerned - it's employer's liability insurance you need. - But basically if you're coming into contact with the public at all, you need PLI. - It's not expensive; I get mine throught he Union (BECTU) I think it's about £30!

That's a different thing though to Professional Indemnity Insurance which might also be needed! - If you're providing a service; in some cases regulatory bodies demand it. It's not just physical injury you have to worry about!

https://www.markeluk.com/articles/what-is-professional-indemnity-insurance

One of the big dangers with rogue/cowboy operators in the creative industries for instance is that they have neither insurance nor procedures in place. Nor for that matter do they have much clue about the liabilities and dangers they can be setting themselves and their clients up for! - Another example would be a mechanic who fixes the brakes on your car, which consequently fail... They need appropriate insurances in place to cover that; as well as adhering to good practice and proper record keeping. the failure ultimately might not be their fault; but they need insurance to defend themselves.

MarkB

MarkB

Staff member
History shows that these types of insurance are often the first casualty when looking to reduce costs but in reality they should be ring fenced as they can be priceless. The idea that it will "never happen to me" has undone many many good businesses over the years!

Businessman

Businessman

From experience, part of the problem is people getting into trades they only have a superficial knowledge and understanding of. - And therefore a lack of understanding of the risk and how to mitigate it. ...Which of course takes us down the branch-line of learning some basic entrepreneurial skills; something sadly-lacking in most vocational courses, and something that should be core in my view - but that's a whole other topic!

Scott Kinnear

Scott Kinnear

I recently got PLI, With the gardening finishing in October, one of my business customers asked me to do some inside jobs for them, So I had to get it for working inside.

Ohh I hear you say - you should have it for working outside too... :eek:

I did used to have it, but with taking a full-time job and doing the garden work at nights and weekends, and also cutting back on how much work I would do through the gardening, it was an expense I dropped, I was only cutting grass, trimming the edges and turning over the borders, cutting plants back. So there wasn't much risk to anyone.

They have a limited budget and could only afford ex-amount per month, I managed to negotiate a bit extra to cover the PLI cover. so it was a good win-win. I have built trust and credibility with them over the years, so they know ill do a job for them. :D

Businessman

Businessman

I need to urge caution with that Scott... Sooner or later you will encounter some awkward sod who wants to make trouble, the cost of one lawyer's letter giving them the Arkell will generally offset the cost of any policy! Your PLI should, normally, cover you in all your working activities; I'd see it as right up there with that waste transfer licence.

Scott Kinnear

Scott Kinnear

Its good cover Matt and yes it covers me whatever I do, within reason (as long as I don't overnight become a test driver for a stunt car) ☺

Businessman

Businessman

Sorry Scott... I misread your post (I'm slightly dyslexic you see) as saying you didn't have cover! My bad! ...Stunt car, Hmmm (eyes up pile of scrap metal in back yard) ;)

Scott Kinnear

Scott Kinnear

No no your half right Matt. I didn't have it. When the garden season finished I got it for doing handyman work. As I have PLI again I will look to approach other businesses to see if I can do any work for them.

Associates

Large Scale Plastic Moulding
Dexion Pallet Racking