By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Do you charge interest on late payment?

• Thread starter Scottish Business Owner
  • Start date
Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Just wondering if most businesses on here charge interest on late payments. Is it a case that you dont need to because veryone pays on time or do you think that levying such a charge will lead to you losing customers?

Maybe you're not fully aware of the rules as to what you can and cant charge.

Your comments?

Brian McIntosh

I always get payment up front. Whether it be a deposit then full payment before delivery or just the full payment up front. I don't really get any hassle about late payers but I'm looking to get more into the commercial photography side of things and that could open up a whole new can of worms.

L

lofty

was going to consider it in the past but most bills are paid up front these days.

I always get payment up front. Whether it be a deposit then full payment before delivery or just the full payment up front. I don't really get any hassle about late payers but I'm looking to get more into the commercial photography side of things and that could open up a whole new can of worms.
There are 'ways of working' on the commercial side which give you some protection. Basically you DON'T release the IP 'till paid; even then it's a licence rather than buy-out. I set my buy-outs at

S

stressmom

I am curious to know what rates one would charge for late fees. Personally I think this is just a good way to lose business rather than recoup any money that you may be losing.

MarkB

MarkB

Staff member
There are two sides to this subject:
  • Introducing interest on late payments can often make a difficult situation worse
  • Interest on late payments can prompt many people to pay on time
It all depends how far you are willing to go to assist a customer who may be having short term cash flow issues. Maybe consider a 3 strikes and you are out system whereby 3 late payments means you can no longer do business with that customer?