By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Do I have to pay for this unwanted service?

K

Kevin441261

We ran a surveying company for 20 years with 10 employees. We had to close the company in June 2010 due to events outside of our control.
We used Credit Safe. My husband is now a one man surveyor and works for inddividuals and a few companies. We do not need Credit Safe (credit checking of companies). I was talked into taking an annual contract out but have found we do not need the service, it is irrelevant to my husband.
I phoned Credit Safe to cancel in October. We are now being harassed for payment with them stating that I should have given 3 months notice in writing. They say my call and Email (Email sent in December in response to their demand for money) are not in accordance with their T&C.
What can we do? Do they have the right to pester us when they know we need their service as much as we need a smack in the face with a wet fish?
I would be grateful if someone could advise us how to proceed.
Thank you.

Mike Lewis

Mike Lewis

Well, the first - and most obvious - thing to do would be to read the T&C.

If they are right, and you need to give three months notice in writing, then check to see if you did in fact do that. If you did, you've got nothing to worry about. If you didn't, then you'd better do it as soon as possible. Then make a note in your diary for three months hence, and be sure not to pay them after that date.

Mike

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

I'm sorry I dont know your name but i'll assume your Kevins wife :)

I see these posts about Credit Safe on lots of forums and I have to say in most cases it's a very similar issue. I would go with Mike's suggestion above initially but I would assume they will have tied things up here.

As much as the T&C's may be bang to right I dont think it's acceptable in this day and age to be held responsible for something that is not fit for purpose (Ok some of you may have a go at me about this!). Given the number of times i've heard the same complaints i've also fired off an email direct to Creditsafe asking for a repsonse or statement on the above.

Let's just see if they actually respond. Time will tell.

Mike Lewis

Mike Lewis

My reply to Kevin's wife was based entirely on the facts she stated in her question.

You obviously know more about the background than I do. You said you thought it was "not acceptable in this day and age to be held responsible for something that is not fit for purpose".

What exactly is it that's not fit for purpose in this case? All she said in her post was that she didn't need to use the service any more. Could you perhaps give a bit of detail about what this is all about?

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
stugster

stugster

When you say you were talked into it, were you talked into the contract under the company name (now no lnoger trading) or under your own name?

I was a customer of Marketsafe (now Creditsafe) for a few years and on the whole I was happy with the service I received. However, what was made clear to me was that this was an annual contract and their terms and conditions seemed to be pretty clear about my cancellation rights.

The issue you have as well is that this is a b2b contract, and not a consumer contract, so certain statutory rights you would have had as a consumer are non existent in b2b relationships.

I am more than happy to pass on a very good contact at MarketSafe who was a fantastic help for me throughout my time with them. Although it's unlikely they'll cancel the contract there and then, they may be happy to offer different terms.

I actually miss my Creditsafe service, and will be looking at subscribing again in the new year.

K

Kevin441261

Thank you for your reply and info. When we are a company of over 10 people working for companies CreditSafe was good. Now that there are just 2 of us and we work for consumers, it is irrelevant, but they will not listen and say that my phone call and Email to cancel are not acceptable. I should have written. Nothing else will do.
So, let this be a lesson to me and others out there.....

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Mike,

Apologies for missing your comments above. My experience of credit safe has been that their alerts system (in my experience) has been way behind other credit reference companies which effectively renders it useless. Over and above this the way it calculates credit risk and scores I would question (again on my opinion and my experience of using it.

In addition to this I constantly hear about them saying emails and telephone calls are not adequate to cancel??? I mean this sounds desperate in the extreme. I'm not talking about a few people here you'll find their name banded about in almost every business forum and for the exact same reason. I dont think it's enough just to say people didn't read the small print etc. It's a tactic designed to trap people and keep them in contracts they no longer require.

I have first hand experience with someone I know who experienced the very same thing as the OP has so my apologies if I seem a tad angry about it :(

Mike Lewis

Mike Lewis

Thanks for the clarification, .

I won't comment on the quality of their product, as that's not really the issue here. But what you said about them ignoring phone and email requests to cancel is interesting.

My original advice to the questioner was to read the terms & conditions. If the t&c required cancellation to be in writing, perhaps by means of a letter sent to a certain address, then it was really up to her to do that, and she can't blame the company if she failed to do so.

To check that point, I just went to the Credit Safe website to check the t&c. But I found that the only way to get a copy was to contact the company and request one. That immediately raises my suspicions.

What's more, it seems that the only way to sign up for their service is to submit your contact details, after which they will phone you. My guess is that you will be contacted by a salesperson who will try to sign you up over the phone, at which point there will still be no opportunity to see the t&c.

If I'm right about that (it's only a guess on my part),then they are legally in the right about not accepting Kevin's cancellation. But it all points to really lousy customer service. A company that had good customer care would bend over backwards to accommodate the customer in a case like this, even if they didn't have a legal obligation to do so.

Based on what you wrote, and on Kevin's experience, I will stay well way from the company. Thanks to you both for your warnings.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
EmployEasily Legal Services

Interesting thread this.....I've been using CreditSafe for the last two years and have just renewed.

I can't comment on the quality of their credit checks vs other agencies as I only use them, but I can say I've never had a debtor issue so guess the benefit of their offering are self evident. I've also had a dedicated account manager sonce day one who rings me in a regular basis and highlights various feature fo my service, many of which have been useful.

Kevin, I suspect their T&Cs are tight and so can understand why you may be struggling to get out of what you signed up to, but you mentioned you now work with consumers, so don't you still need to check their credit?

Creditsafe also offer a consumer credit report service - CSUK - CREDITSAFEUK.com - Free online credit report and credit check information with monitoring from the credit expert. Creditsafe provide online access to Comprehensive Company, Consumer and International Credit Reports. Our UK reports now include - why not simply ask them to transfer you to that service instead?