By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Demonstration

D

Dizzydiza

Woohoo.....I did it! This must be my 4th demonstration and this time I had an audience of between 40 to 60 women. I was too scared to count them!
I blethered for about an hour and demonstrated 2 sets of earrings, a wire wrapped ring and a swarovski pearl & crystal comb!
I started off by making that all important apology for not being a fluent of confident speaker. I had a little card with points on it to keep my train of thought and for the speech to come out sensible. My throat was dry and sore despite having a bottle of water to sip on. I didn't get paid for the demonstration but I made 2 sales of jewellery, which is enough to pay for one of my wedding fayres, so that is ok. But maybe I will need to say for any future events that unless I make a sale then I am expecting a small fee!
I'm chilling out now with a ready made pina colada drink :thumbup:

G

Gouldie0

Well done Diana, there's nothing quite like a presentation to a large group to get the nerves going.

Have you thought about charging for your demonstrations and maybe handing out flyers at the event containing a promotion - say 5% percent off. Just a thought...........

All the best

Neil

D

Dizzydiza

Hi Neil
I havent so far asked for payment but the first one I did offered me payment but I felt to guilty to take it and told them to give it to a charity of their choice, which went down very nicely with them. The second I made sales at and I gave a donation to their charity. The third I was paid, which was nice and I kind of expected to get paid again for this one but I think it was my fault for not specifying a payment. But I made enough sales again that it is going to pay for one of my wedding fayres.

Thanks Jim, I already knew about the seminar through the Falkirk Business forum but its the time that it is on. That time of day I am running all over the place for the kids and mum! There are quite a lot of interesting courses at the Business Park but I just dont have the spare time for them :(

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Hi Diana,

Well done you! It's always nice to see people doing well :)

A couple of wee things entered my head with your post above. How feasible is it for you to do this stuff on video. It strikes me that you could carve out a wee niche for yourself here and believe you me video is destined to be the next big thing. There's maybe a few wee avenues for you there that need explored.

Regarding events etc - what times would actually suit you better? This is an area i'm looking into with SBF to see if we can deliver seminars etc that would be useful to small business owners.

Anyway i'm chuffed for you and feel free to ignore the above as well as sometimes i can just yabber on! :p

A couple of wee things entered my head with your post above. How feasible is it for you to do this stuff on video. It strikes me that you could carve out a wee niche for yourself here and believe you me video is destined to be the next big thing.

Next big thing?? :D 23 years and counting mate... It goes in and out with the tide! :D:D

A video needs to be done well or is better not done at all... All these "muppet movies' that are popping up all over the place are destined to become just so much white noise...

And unless you know what you're doing (or can hire somone who does) it's really not a realisitc proposition. Upwards of £500 for a fairly simple demo which I suspect might be a bit of a stretch for a lot of folk...

That said there's a definite market for 'sell thru' (stuff that gets sold on DVD or via download) craft videos.. And if you were up for it Di we'd certainly be prepared to look at doing a co-production that could actually make a quid or two... It would also generate some suitable material for your website and demos..

As for the demos themselves; the more you do the easier they get... You're on the right track as you have a 'teaching plan' and are following it. You don't need to be a great orator; just know your stuff...

For the past ten years I've got away with subjecting students to 15 hours of stand up comedy a week after all! :D:D:D

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dizzydiza

Me on video would be so funny! Spare time mmmmm what's that?
Its such a shame that I cant get to the Falkirk Business seminars as many of them are just around the corner from me. Some times its the times that they are on but sometimes the ones that I am interested in cost a wee bit too much for me to attend when I havent got the money coming in the first place. I have 4 wedding fayres coming up that I have to find the fees for and at the moment I have zero work. Its strangely quiet as this time, the last 2 years I have had several appointments by now. So far the appointments I have had have cancelled for various reasons. Loads of enquiries but nothing concrete yet!

D

Dizzydiza

Thanks for the offer Matt but again its time that I dont really have spare and besides I dont want to look a fool on dvd or in front of anyone else for that matter ;)

Thanks for the offer Matt but again its time that I dont really have spare and besides I dont want to look a fool on dvd or in front of anyone else for that matter ;)

You're very welcome; and the offer stands whenever you change your mind.

Nobody looks a fool in one of my videos; it's my job to make sure they don't. :) so you wouldn't have to worry on that score. Besides which, if something's getting shot for a DVD you get to do it over and over again 'till it's perfect... FAR easier than having to do it live!

Incidentally, in case anyone else is interested, towards the end of the year we're looking to move more back into the 'sell thru' market... So I'm aye open to ideas for material that might sell on DVD/Blu-Ray and willing to take a fairly flexible approach as to how it's produced.

And of course if anyone's looking for more traditional business TV; maybe have something done for their website or an exhibition... Or to pass out to clients... Sales, Training, instructional videos... You name it; we've done it over the years!