By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Company set up with funder - question on shares

M

Mick Hurst

Hi all

I am involved with setting up a new business, I have someone willing to fund the entire start up.
For his investment, he wants a majority shareholding in the business - I would have a minority share.

Can I legally, put into our agreement, that once his investment has been repaid (plus an agreed interest) that I then have the majority shareholding?
Or can this be overturned by him, as he is the majority shareholder and can change this agreement?

He has no interest in running the business, just wants to protect his investment, so will use the majority shareholding to ensure his investment is repaid.
The business will be run and managed by myself and wouldn't want my years of hard work just to line his pockets for years to come.

Please advise
Thanks
Mick