By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Cold Calling

M

MBS

We are looking to build up our client base and so are looking into the option of cold calling. I am more than happy to do the calls myself, but it is issues prior to this I am enquiring about.

Where am I best to gain a list of contacts, should we purchase this from a company or simply use phone directories? We offer an online personnel and reporting system used to cut down on HR admin for holidays absence etc. and so as long as a company has employees we are not really aiming at a particular market.

Also, who should I be asking for when I call. I have found previously that the HR staff or those who deal with the personnel are most interested in the product, but they do not have the say financially. It isn't an expensive product as it is charged monthly, but should I be aiming for the management before the HR?

Any help would be appreciated.

G

George Michie

Different market but a fair bit of our business comes from cold calling, mainly by myself. It can be difficult to establish who the correct contact is but I tend to start off with the MD/Owner and work from there.

We buy in the information which is screened for businesses who don't wish to receive unsolicited calls, avoids the possibility of unwelcome fines.

We've also recently appointed a small (one woman business we found about via a referral) professional telesales agency and have to say I'm pleasantly surprised with the results, not exactly cheap but after only a couple of months she's more than paid for herself already.

M

MBS

Thanks for the info. Think using an outside comapny is kind of out of reach at the moment - would you be able to guide us in the direction of where the information can be bought, there are a lot of companies out there that offer it, but knwoing who to go to is quite difficlut.

Gordon N

Gordon N

Thanks for the info. Think using an outside comapny is kind of out of reach at the moment - would you be able to guide us in the direction of where the information can be bought, there are a lot of companies out there that offer it, but knwoing who to go to is quite difficlut.

Hi Ryan, a company that I have used in the past is called Selectabase. As mentioned in an above post they track subscribers of the telephone preference service and their lists include contact names which are a good starting point.

They were running a 'free one month subscription' offer recently to allow you to try before you buy, not sure if it's still running but worth asking about.

Hope this helps,

Gordon

We've also recently appointed a small (one woman business we found about via a referral) professional telesales agency and have to say I'm pleasantly surprised with the results, not exactly cheap but after only a couple of months she's more than paid for herself already.

How "not exactly cheap" would that be? Years ago I used just such a service and may well consider it again.

G

George Michie

We ended up going with a Company called Businessstrata, part of Thomson Directories. Link

It's a credit based system which allows you to buy the bits of info you want, the more info the more credits.

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Ryan,

I think you need to tighten up who the product is aimed at. You wont have much luck if you are just aiming at at any company with employees. You surely must have more information that allows you to track what types of companies would be most interested.

It's fine buying lists but if you spec them wrong in the first place you'll have to do a fair bit of cold calling before you even get the sniff of a lead.

M

MBS

Sorry, I was a bit general before with our aims, our main target group is SMEs who maybe do not hold their own HR team, we have found the clients we have taken on so far are companies who want to save time and effort on HR admin but who do not to go to the expense of taking on extra staff to control it. Usually the people who become the administrators of the system are the managers of the company or an employee with a job not mostly related to HR.

We have had interest from companies who have HR departments, but not really as much as smaller companies.

To be honest most people do not seem to give it much thought until we discuss it with them and they realise how much time and effort is spent on general HR - absence, disciplinaries, holidays and so on.

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Ryan,

Most software like this tends to have an initial time limited trial with a key to then open up all the features, have you tried something like this with the software. I work with a few different clients in a financial capacity and always seem to get the HR to some degree or another. Is there anyway for me to see how the software can actually benefit my clients?

M

MBS

We actually offer a 14-day free trial of the software, it is not possible to sign-up to the software automatically after this point but if clients like what they see, we can get them set up straight away as all you need to do to access the system is have a user login and password.

If you were to PM me your details I would be happy to arrange a time to take you through a demo of our system online with our Webex training centre or if you like I could just set you up with a trial for you to work with the system yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dawn Barclay

Dawn Barclay

Hi Ryan,

Had a look at your product...it looks great.
Personally I think creating your own list as opposed to buying is a much better option. I see on your site the free trial is available only if people contact you...is it instantly downloadable (is that a word)? I am trying to put myself in one of your customers shoes...if I was seeking a solution I would want access there and then.

Also I can get right through your site and not once does it ask for an opt-in.

You said...To be honest most people do not seem to give it much thought until we discuss it with them and they realise how much time and effort is spent on general HR - absence, disciplinaries, holidays and so on...

To get people to opt-in, show interest, raise their hands can you answer some of their problems (as above) straight away and capture their details? A report? A q and a's document a 'how much will this product save you' information leaflet? I see you have download brochure re company - can people download this without name and email capture?

I know it may sound harsh however as long as you are capturing names and addresses ethically and offering in return it's not.

Lists...most lists can be used only once...so I agree with you must be really clear on niche market. Maybe sponsor another companies newsletter? Do a joint venture? Target accountants/book-keepers? I know that they work with small businesses...and well lets face it most SME only see them once year when freaking about getting the books in? Your product would help...they will have their own lists.

If I can clarify anything let know, you may have this info already.

Best Wishes

Dawn

Potential Developments
How To Run Your Business Before It Runs You Down

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MBS

Hi Dawn,

Thank you for the feedback, the website only launched a couple of weeks ago, so it is good to get an outsiders view and are planning additions to it in the near future.

In terms of our package, there is nothing that can be downloaded as the software is all run online, when people give us their details we forward them an email with access details to the system. This is currently set up by us in the background but we should hopefully have it soon to run straight from the website.

We checked with numerous competitors and although off the shelf solutions often give you a straight to download link, you still need to give numerous details about yourself (email, phone),company etc.

You can download the brochure without giving any details at all, you only need these to be entered if you would like a brochure posted out.

How we are going about the marketing is another issue that we are trying to get confirmed, we have a number of magazine adverts, banners to be launched in the next few months and I have began networking a bit more, but we are currently putting together our options together. If we use a potential client list from another company, at least we can be certain that these contacts are legally allowed to be contacted, but we just need to get a more focused approach on this area.

Again, thank you for the comments. Always appreciated.

Ryan

Dawn Barclay

Dawn Barclay

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for reply...I have just have a thing about rented lists! But as long as we can all work out the ROI and it has made money, well then I need to shut my mouth!

Re the download brochure - if you can capture details before the download that means you will be collating your own list...people can download and right now you will never know who they are. You could set this up on an autoresponder from an email address if you don't have a programme that manages this for you.

I sponsored another networks newsletter before - they had a huge list, cost (I think) £100 maybe £143 and I got more interest from that than any list I bought. Hence bee in bonnet of paid lists.

I think as small business owners we get 'fluffed' a lot by the way big guys do their marketing, however to us it can be very expensive.

Thanks again

Dawn
(From someone who spent two mortgage payments on lists and lives in a mortified state to tell the tale!)