By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Can social media make an impact in travel & tourism?

andrewghayes

andrewghayes

Recently I undertook some research in writing my new eBook Preparing for Takeoff: 7 Common Mistakes Businesses Make Online, a free download from my website that introduces small travel businesses to social media.

I found small travel businesses that thought they had been successful online and asked them their thoughts on the medium. The answer to the question in the title of this thread? None of you will be surprised to know it was a resounding Yes.

Many of those businesses found social media so empowering. They are using social media to:
  • provide remarkable customer service
  • listen to what customers are saying in the marketplace and respond accordingly
  • extend their real-world brands beyond their current geographic restrictions

And they're thriving even in a down economy. One small hotel in the southwestern United States has the highest repeat visitor rates in the entire country, and is making $10,000 a year filling in last minute cancellations on Twitter. (That's on top of the $75,000 a year he's bringing in with new business coming in via social media.)

What was the common theme in all of these businesses? They're doing something. While this is somewhat unexplored territory, these success stories weren't afraid to try something new and explore, tweak, explore, tweak.

If you know of a travel and tourism business who could use a little online inspiration, please send them to my website where they can download a copy of the eBook.

I have found social media to be an invaluble tool for promoting small travel businesses. I started working with Macs Adventure Walking Holidays - Adventure Holidays - Macs Adventure last year which has gone from strength to strength since they started using NING, Facebook & Myspace and is now the lifeblood of their website with a regular blog showing on the their home page. I now work with Amazing Days Scotland - Spectacular Corporate Entertainment, Business Tourism and Private Parties who have just started using Twitter, Facebook and Myspace and Ning and the response so far has been fantastic!

andrewghayes

andrewghayes

Brilliant! That's so great to hear - indeed, I agree for small business the sky is the limit in terms of expanding reach.