By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Business Formation

Brian McIntosh

Hi All,

Just a quick qusetion. Is it possible for 2 people to jointly buy a business but only one person run it as a sole trader or are there rules that govern this sort of thing?

Yes and no....

By definition the agreement between the two people to buy the business establishes a partnership. Now, it's up to the two how ownership is divided up. And likewise how labour and drawings from the business are allocated. But ultimately joint ownership means joint liability.

So theoretically it's possible... but I'd advise, in the strongest possible terms, that you really need a) an accountant's advice to decide whether this really IS the best way forward for your activity and b) a lawyer's help in drawing up the partnership agreement...

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Brian,

Matt has pretty much nailed it. You should be able to create a partnership agreement that details all this but it will be quite tricky and you will need some professional help. Is going Limited an option with this? What would be your concerns over going down that route with it as another option?

Brian McIntosh

Just to put you guys in the picture, my wife and I are buying a business which includes premises. We are buying the whole lot jointly but she will run the business and the profit will be her income. I'll still be taking snaps. I will be seeing an Accountant, Lawyer, Bank Manager, etc but I thought I would get a few pointers beforehand from you kind people.

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Brian,

I think the main issue you will have is what the Revenue call income shifting. Where couples try and shift the income onto the lower threshold taxpayer. I may of course have got this completely wrong but it's important you set this up correctly to avoid a challenge by the Revenue at a later date.

I would make sure you ask the accountant about this particular subject as i'm sure they will be well aware of it. I dont think what you're trying to do isn't acheivable but I can see the pitfalls if it's not done correctly.

I do hope it all goes well though :)

Latest Posts

Associates

Large Scale Plastic Moulding
Dexion Pallet Racking