By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

BT Home Hub Security Warning

• Thread starter Scottish Business Owner
  • Start date
Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

A group of ethical hackers has warned that the BT Home Hub, the wireless router provided to BT Broadband customers, can easily be hacked if left to operate using its default settings.

GNUCitizen.org said that it had been reverse-engineering the BT Home Hub, which is made by a firm called Thomson, with independent security researcher Kevin Devine and found that algorithms used by the device were predictable enough for hackers to be able to crack.

Read the full article at http://www.webuser.co.uk/news/251626.html?aff=rss

stugster

stugster

Verified Member
"It's quite likely that the bad guys can break into your network if you're using the default encryption key. Our advice is: use WPA rather than WEP and change the default encryption key now," GNUCitizen said.

Now, who was it that was posting about this on the forums a few weeks back? I'm sure it was some stunning, intelligent, young bloke. Can't quite remember his name though!:D:p

TomB

TomB

I love that ethical hackers!!!! :D

Knowing how useless BT are it doesn't surprise me really.

I wonder if it applies to Bt Business Broadband Hubs as quite a few of my clients use that.

Actually....

Finding a PM from has just reminded me of something...

If, as I do, you share your broadband connection with the rest of the household be careful. I'd given my daughter a note of the encryption key for our access point. This was to allow her to use some Nintendo thingy to interact with other Nintendo thingies. I also couldny be assed running a cable to her bedroom to connect her PC....

Some weeks ago I discovered mischief was afoot. Posts were being deleted from forums. People were posting mad things apparently using my accounts etc... Turned out my daughter had written the key down in the back of a jotter. Some of her schoofriends had got a hold of it and were entertaining themselves by hiding out in the field at the back of my house with a laptop..

The Nintendo's now banned, key is changed and there's a lump of Cat 5 snaking it's way under her carpet...:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
stugster

stugster

Verified Member
Solution: Set up the laptops/other network devices yourself :D Don't give it to anyone that doesn't need it. Remember, you only usually have to enter it once - after this, it will be saved for future use. So people who don't need to know it, shouldn't know it :)

Latest Posts

Associates

Large Scale Plastic Moulding
Dexion Pallet Racking