By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Bank Charges Test Case

TomB

TomB

Hey All,

I don't know if anybody is following this case, but the weekly money saving expert email reported this:

Bank Charges Test Case Result Due This Thur 24 April. The result of the Office of Fair Trading and Banks' court case will be handed down on Thurs. This will answer whether it

Pixels Ink

Pixels Ink

I've never actually been very clear on this. I'm assuming it is charges from personal accounts rather than business account charges.

I don't think I've ever been charged for anything on my personal accounts.

TomB

TomB

Its the penalty charges like, going over your overdraft fees, direct debit failing all that kind of thing.

Apparently the banks have paid back

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

I was unfortunately too late to act and by the time I did a hold was put on all claims pending the outcome of this case :mad:

I'm now waiting with bated breath to see the outcome and already have my forms filled in just in case :p

Tom mentioned the article on Money Saving Expert. Just in case some have not heard of it it's a great site that can save you quite a bit of money. I've put a link to it below :)

Money Saving Expert: Consumer Revenge - Credit Cards, Shopping, Bank Charges, Cheap Flights and more

TomB

TomB

you should still send them in and then they are in the system for when its lifted.

Otherwise the banks are going to be swamped with claims and then it will get burried in them.

I hope that all this doesn't affect the lending and interest rates. Would be terrible if the govermen pumped all that money into the banks only for them to have to pay it back to consumers!!

That would be bad!!

I just realised this is my 100th post!!! Do i get a coconut???

stugster

stugster

I've never had a charge, until I used PayPal twice in the one evening forgetting it was on my old student account with a small overdraft.

Bang, went over twice, bang, charged twice.

Sent letter to bank manager who kindly replied via letter and explained the Court Case was going on, and he couldn't do anything until it was resolved.

Can't wait for some potential extra pub money!

ahop23

do most banking institutions in Scotland charge fees for using the ATM? Here in the United States there are actually banks that charge fees when you have to go inside and do a direct transaction with one of their tellers! Ridiculous- I cut my ties with banks who do business like that a long time ago. I would love to be able to recover those lost fees but am sure that will never be the case.

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

The banks seem to be preparing to lose this case if media reports are correct. One thing is for sure though the banks wont give up that easily and i'm sure there will be appeals etc and government lobbying before anybody sees any cash back.

Ahop - We do have some ATM machines that charge for withdrawal but the majority are I think still free. Although if the banks lose this case i'm pretty sure that will come under scrutiny as they look to recoup lost profits.

I've never had a charge, until I used PayPal twice in the one evening forgetting it was on my old student account with a small overdraft.

Bang, went over twice, bang, charged twice.

Sent letter to bank manager who kindly replied via letter and explained the Court Case was going on, and he couldn't do anything until it was resolved.

Can't wait for some potential extra pub money!

Much the same happened to me the other week. My 'pin money' account got overdrawn by a pound-odds thanks to PayPal making an unauthorised withdrawal. Next thing I get a letter telling me I was getting hit with charges which totaled nearly

RedEvo

RedEvo

The judge ruled the charges weren't penal which means all the OFT can do now is contest they were unfair - a much more difficult thing to prove.

d

TomB

TomB

I read on money saving expert:

Bank charge reclaimers won a massive victory against the banks today, after a High Court judge ruled that charges can be unfair under UK law. The judge decided that consumer contract regulations can apply to bank charges, paving the way for the OFT to decide whether banks' charges are unfair.

MoneySavingExpert News - Major victory for bank charge reclaimers!

From reading that it looks fairly positive for reclaiming the charges

T

Idea15

Idea15

A&L pulled a pretty tidy scam on us. When hubby went to close his account and switch to another bank, A&L held off on moving his accounts for a ridiculously late period of time until the TV licence went overdrawn on what he had signed off on as a closed account. Overdraft, plus fee, overdraft on that, plus fee, etc, eventually a home visit from the TV licence enforcement thugs (aggressive Phil and Grant Mitchell lookalikes all in black, while I was heavily pregnant) for a bill we thought had been switched and paid all along. A&L also refuse to disclose how much they are still charging us every month unless we pay

Idea15

Idea15

groaaaaaaaaan the debt collector stalker calls for the above bank charges have started again. We had call #27 (yes, we log them) at 8:55 this morning, for what at last count was a whopping

TomB

TomB

Has anyone tried this web site forum for getting advice about how to reclaimbank charges

The Consumer Forums

Gordon
PLC

Hi Gordon,

I have indeed, its a fantastic website and forum, there is so much information on it.

Using their template letters i managed to reclaim