By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

AVG "free"

Brian McIntosh

Updated my AVG free anti virus and I had a pop us asking me to pay for it now. Is it worth paying for it or is there similar products that do the same job or more?

TomB

TomB

Personally i think AVG is uselss, but thats just my opinion.

I quite like Avast, seems to pick up a lot of things that AVG doesn't.

Is free the only condition is that you register the software each year.

Avast Anti Virus

stugster

stugster

Verified Member
I have to say I really like AVG from a personal point of view rather than a "business/sales" one. I recently removed "all singing all dancing" Norton from a customers' computer, and AVG instantly found three different trojan horse viruses.

AVG will continue to remain free for home use, if you are using it for business purposes however, it is best to register the copy.

You can purchase a licence for AVG Anti-Virus for

S

ScottJ

I use AVG as well and have installed it on a lot of friends computers and it had always worked well imo, without crushing them to a standstill like some of the heavier one's like Norton.

Idea15

Idea15

I have used AVG for a while and about two weeks ago I was upgraded to AVG 8.0. This is everything integrated together - antivirus, spyware, anti-rootkit, browser protection, you name it.

On the negative side, it has made my startup painfully slow - about four minutes.
On the plus side, I am no longer using four programs for four purposes, and the first time I ran 8.0 it caught some adware that even Spybot had missed (gasp!)

CSNM-Carl

CSNM-Carl

I've been using F-Protect for over 3 years now, it's securing all my machines & servers.

Not a fan of AVG free or paid, I find the interface quite clunky.

PC

PC

it caught some adware that even Spybot had missed (gasp!)
Spybot used to be good... many years ago.

idea15: you won't need the firewall part of your software as your broadband router (assuming you have one) is your firewall.

All-in-one applications are never a good idea, just look at Norton and McAfee.

If you want a good antispyware program then have a look at superantispyware and an excellent (paid) antivirus is NOD32.

Click on my link below and have a look under the software section. They're both there.

D

Dizzydiza

Speaking as a non technical person. I hated the way Nortons took over my computer and I moved onto AVG free. It was very easy to use. I had a problem with either a trojan or virus quite a while ago and for some reason AVG couldnt get it out completed (dont ask details cause I couldnt explain if I tried). So someone online on another forum suggested Avast (free). I have to say it is very reassuring the way everytime you log on it immediately updates its virus bank. As well as running the normal virus check you can also do a virus check from boot up (before windows starts properly)

Latest Posts

Associates

Large Scale Plastic Moulding
Dexion Pallet Racking