By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Attracting an Angel?

S

Stuart Reid

What is the best way to attract an angel investor? Even using the formal British Business Angels Association seems to throw up a load of scammers and companies wanting up-front fees.

I am the author of the (unoffically) best selling children's book in Scotland this year, 6,000 copies sold with no advertising at all. My publisher is looking for investment to develop the opportunities we've created, including marketing my series to a wider audience and the launch of a major children's book from an international sportsman.

I've also been asked by the BBC to write a pilot and 13 episode pitch based on my first book so the potential for growth is good. How do I target an angel directly?

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Hi Stuart,

Welcome to SBF! :)

Have you came across a site called Angel's Den on your searches? I've heard great things about them and it may be that this is another option.

Actually having just googled them they also have a Scottish division http://www.angelsden.com/Regions/Scotland.aspx

I wonder if you have also ever considered Crowd Funding? That could be a viable option for you. You could also have a look at BloomVC for more information on this.

Good luck with your search and let us know how things are going. If anyone has any other suggestions then please leave them below :)

S

Stuart Reid

Thanks,

By coincidence, I was researching 'crowd funding' this morning and that's how I came by your thread. I'm quite intrigued by a number of posts on here so I'll be around.

But I was put off Angel's Den due to their 'cash-up-front' policy - seems too much like a scam?

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Stuart Reid

Hi again,

Still looking for investment but this might help. I've just had my first book review in a national newspaper. The Daily Record's book supplement listed my book between David Walliams and Michael Morpurgo. Columnist and author Shari Low describes it as...

'this unmissable debut, from a Scottish writer who is on course to be a star of the future' and 'wickedly funny'

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/thebigread/helpful-stuff/2012/06/26/summer-reads-books-for-ages-nine-to-12-86908-23900956/

A full review will be appearing in Saturday's Daily Record.

Fingers crossed

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Hi Stuart,

Wow! that's a great piece of PR for you. I've actually sent the ladies at Bloom a note of this thread so hopefully one of them will be along soon to offer some advice and guidance :)

M

Michelle Rodger

Hi Stuart, just received an email about your fundraising challenge. Please take a look at www.bloomvc.com (particularly the book project, Is Daddy Coming Home in a Minute) and see if it's the sort of thing you're looking for. And get in touch if you have any questions - [email protected] or [email protected].
Hope we can help.
Michelle