By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Anti-Virus & Spyware software

• Thread starter Scottish Business Owner
  • Start date
Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

I recently came accross an anti virus product called NOD32 which i've tried and have been very impressed with, so much so that I've now purchased a license.

This got me thinking about what other people use. Is it mostly AVG free or other paid for products?

I'd also be interested in the experts view as to how good or bad NOD32 is. I spent a lot of time researching so it would be good to know I made a choice :p

Boxby

I had this, it was brilliant. It's used by Tesco's I think.

The only problem that I had is that everytime it updated it knocked the wireless connection off, and it became such a complete pain in the ass that I took it off and went back to AVG.

Also, I think there was some clash between this and some setting on my PC. But since then I've also replaced the motherboard, so which was the culprit, we'll never know.

Brian

I'm an AVG fan as well. I recommend it to anyone who's looking for free anti-virus along with Spybot. Never heard of NOD 32 but I am becoming more aware of how system intensive some of these anti-virus products can be.

Brian
I think i'll be sticking with AVG for now!

PC

PC

I recently came accross an anti virus product called NOD32 which i've tried and have been very impressed with, so much so that I've now purchased a license.
It's so good that I've been a reseller for NOD for over three years now.

Last edited by a moderator:

DavidN

Glad I seen this post as i've been looking for a new anti virus software after getting to peeved with Norton. I've downloaded the free trial so we'll see how it goes!

Dave

stugster

stugster

Here's one for a laugh:

Went to a customers home last Tuesday, they had Norton Antivirus (up to date). Computer was running slow, so I removed Norton and installed AVG. AVG instantly popped up alerting us to 4 Trojan Horses! :) Go Norton(!)

Brian

How can these companies afford to give AVG away for free? Is it all based on a certain percentage upgrading? I dont think i've seen many people pan the avg free, it's recommended by most people I speak to certainly for personal use. Surley for Norton etc it's all about the hype and the marketing?

stugster

stugster

Grisoft, the company behind AVG, offer an upgrade option that does the same sort of thing as "Norton Internet Security". So ideally, they'd want customers to go "yeh, this is great, I'll buy an upgrade"

They don't offer any form of support on the free versions, if you need help, you buy the upgrade.

And the key: Business users all pay.

Having said that, the prices are very modest, and are much less than what Norton charge.

Brian

So what benefits do you get by upgrading and is it worth it? You would have thought that with AVG being so popular Grisoft would maybe tweak it a little to make more people upgrade ;)

stugster

stugster

Yeh, you're right. I really don't understand why they don't! The number of customers, friends and family that go "EH? It's free?! Are you sure!?" is outstanding.

I don't understand, from a business point of view, why they offer it free. Perhaps it's to drum up enough publicity, and eventually they will update with a "no, you must pay now" patch.

By the way, sorry, Grisoft recently changed names to "AVG Technologies" in Feb 2008.