By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Anti-terror email database proposed

• Thread starter Scottish Business Owner
  • Start date
Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

The government is considering building a massive database that would store everybody's phone calls, emails and text messages in the fight against terrorism.

Under the plans put forward internet service providers (ISPs) and telecoms companies would have to submit records to the Home Office.

Anti-terror email database proposed - Web User News

This story has absolutely incensed me :mad:. How much more do this government want to pry into our lives. It feels like they dont want you to do anything without them knowing and all in the name of anti-terror measures.

Where will it all end!

TomB

TomB

This is a complete and utter piece of non-sense.

The government have enough difficulty securing the data they have without storing more personal information about us.

And of course there will be employees that will abuse it and spend their lunch hours reading people's emails and text messages.

its absolutely ridiculous, that's made me so angry. :mad:

its like in Edinburgh, the council slap a tram poster on it and its acceptable, the government say its all in the name of anti-terrorism and we're supposed to just accept it.

next they will be reading our mail, in case of terrorism, checking our tesco clubcards just in case of terrorism.

Brian McIntosh

Every email that's sent in the UK and emails that are sent from outside the UK into this country are sent through a "Listening Post" at Menwith Hill. That's EVERY email. It looks for certain keywords and flags up emails that are "dodgy". Some people, a few years back, started using a program called PGP which was a 128bit encryption program that was impossible to break. This made the listeners a bit sweaty and I don't know if things have changed. In the past, software manufacturers that included encryption in their software had to leave a "back door" into the program so that encrypted stuff could be read. PGP didn't do this and that's what p****d off the authorities.

TomB

TomB

yeah we used PGP on a open university course when we were learning encryption.

Its quite good actually but i never thought about putting it into practice for every day use.

I'm sure anybody reading my emails would just think i was barking mad really :D

i wonder now if they will be monitoring this thread as the word terrorism in it.

be careful what you say they may be listening . . . .

:D

TomB

TomB

Oh well if they are listening:

if you need a website just give me a call :D

That will be me in trouble now i bet you!!

T

Brian McIntosh

I think they've maybe got other things to worry about Tom although, if you don't post for the next few days...

I'm sure we don't know the half of what goes on regarding "The War on Terror". There is a bill going through Parliament at the moment that concerns photography in public places. The terrorism act is being used and abused by those in authority to try and curb people taking photographs in cities. There is a clip on youtube where a guy is innocently filming a video in London when 2 security guards come up to him and one of them spouts the biggest heap of b******t about filming in public places. The guy left his camera running and the result was the second security guard dragged his colleague away apologising. Give some people a fluorescent jacket... I'll see if I can dig it up.

Latest Posts

Associates

Large Scale Plastic Moulding
Dexion Pallet Racking