By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Another VAT question

abs

abs

I have a hypothetical question about filling in a tax return.

If there is a bad debt written off (over six months) say sales of £200 plus £30 VAT. I know that the £30 VAT should be included in box 4 (VAT on inputs) but where do I include the £200, does it get deducted off Box 5 (sales) or added to box 7 (purchases).

Any advice would be appreciated

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Hi Theresia,

The £200 should be taken off the sales turnover (Box 5). It isn't technically an input but a negative output but let's not split hairs over that as it has the same result.

Make sure you have exhausted all avenues on the debt side before you write it off as well.

abs

abs

Thanks so much Barrie, you're a star!

It is actually hypothetical as it is for a test. I knew what to do with everything else but that part of it I had never covered.

SBF is great!

Theresia