By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Alcohol clampdown plans unveiled

• Thread starter Scottish Business Owner
  • Start date
Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Proposals to tackle Scotland's binge-drinking culture have been announced by the Scottish Government.

The plan would see anyone under the age of 21 banned from buying alcohol in off-licenses and set a minimum price at which a unit of alcohol can be sold.

BBC NEWS | Scotland | Alcohol clampdown plans unveiled

Has anyone else been keeping tabs on this story? Do you think this is a step in the right direction. The pilot that was done in Armadale was hailed a huge success by the police etc. Your thoughts?

Power Lunch Club

Power Lunch Club

I think if kids want to get drunk, they will get round this age restriction without any difficulties.

It comes down to education, education, education....we need to be teaching kids at a young the damage caused by their actions, if they choose to follow this lifestyle.

Kid in Europe enjoy a glass of wine with their families, (or enjoy a cafe lifestyle) but here it's almost criminalised...I am sure Europe has it underage drinking problem, but it is very much less.

Gordon
PLC

Brian McIntosh

I don't have a problem raising the age but I can't see how the minimum unit of alcohol price will work in practice. In an ideal world it would level the playing field for alcohol sales. Can't quite see the big players being happy with this as they, according to a report on the radio yesterday, they sell some brands as a loss leader. It'll be interesting to follow what happens. I'm sure the lobbies of the Scottish Parliament will be full of retailers.

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

I have to agree Brian, alcohol is big business and there is no way the retailers and the brewers will allow anyone to impose a minimum price. The age limit though is an interesting one and there are some stats that indicated that upping the age did have the effect of reducing crime related to drink in underage people.

I would also agree with Gordon that education has it's part to play but in terms of immediate impact and results this is unlikely to happen going down that route.

nothing does

nothing does

I've been keeping tabs on this story as my better half is a social worker. It's clear the 'experiment' was carried out on a very localised section of the public and the results were....how can I say...massaged into the public domain. It would be interesting to see if this was carried out during the winter when alcohol related crime is lower.

But all that said, how can you state that this effects a nation when only carried out in a reasonably small town. There needs to be more, detailed research. We can not rely on one small experiment to dictate who and when we should buy a product. There is so much of this that is reactionary against current drinking habits and forming a quick fix and less of a long term solution.

D

Dizzydiza

It is off licenses and shops that wont be able to sell to the under 21's if this goes through....my 20 year old son (when he has money) thinks nothing of spending it on a night out and I am disappointed to say he has come home worst for wear quite a few times as a result. I thought I had taught him to be responsible when it came to drink but it appears that peer pressure has taught him otherwise. But anything to limit his access to drink in my opinion is good ...as a student he doesnt have access to great amounts of money that often.

PC

PC

It comes down to education, education, education....
Or we could just electrocute the little sh*ts! Cattle prods set to stun should cure quite a few of the teenager-related problems. :D

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Heather,

It's a pretty candid article and is somewhat similar to my own experience as well. I chose not to go down the university route is favour of gaining experience which I felt would be more valued by an employer. I've never regretted that and it's never held me back.

I think she hit the nail on the head by saying it's a cultural thing and to a certain extent peer group pressure. I would however ask how do you break something that is so cultural? Binge-drinking etc is drummed into us all through many different mediums but it doesn't seem to solve the problem or ease it in any way. I've seen first hand the effects of underage drinkers being allowed to abuse an entire town to the extent where grown men feel threated by it. For me though the response by the police etc was pathetic and maybe what needs to be looked at is what punishments are given for this type of behaviour as a deterrent.

Idea15

Idea15

One thing I always chuckled at is that where I went to university, if you were caught drinking underage, they did not send the fine and the citation to you. They sent it to your parents. Many a wayward brat had to change their ways after their parents phoned them up raging that they'd just received a letter and a fine from the police.

What also helps curb binge drinking in the US is that most health insurers do not pay out for alcohol related illnesses. Imagine having a hospital bill for $1,000 or more come through your mailbox on Monday after your Friday night binge went too far? The downside of universal health care like the NHS is that there is no disincentive for alcohol-related illnesses and behavior. No matter what you do to yourself, you will always be caught by the safety net and released, free of charge, with a pat on the head. Given that 1) the safety net inadvertently condones binge drinking and 2) alcohol related illnesses cause a severe drain on our health service, this country is kidding itself by adhering to the quaint notion of unconditional health care for "all".

Latest Posts

Associates

Large Scale Plastic Moulding
Dexion Pallet Racking