By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Advice needed :( urgently

V

Vicky Luciano

Hello everyone! I'm new here so please bare with me :)

I'm just after some good factual advice tbh as i'm not sure where i stand with my apprenticeship.
I have been doing a computing apprenticeship for over 6months now and have done very little work towards it as my job role is very demanding. My employer offered me a perminent contract, so i've been a full employee for a good couple of months and i'm doing really well within the company.
I'm really not interested in completing the apprenticeship AT ALL, in fact i can't stand it. I've spoke to my employer about the situation and they seem quite happy for me to just quit the apprenticeship, but i just wanted to check where i stand with it and is it possible to just leave? or will me or my employer be charged something?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

fairdealworld

fairdealworld

Congrats on being offered the permanent contract. I think you need to check with the 'provider' of the apprenticeship - a college or a company which provides tuition in the workplace - as to the implications. Or actually to be fair your employer needs to do so. If your employer has offered you a contract then it is really up to them to have checked if it will lead to any problems for them rather than it being your responsibility.

N.B. I don't think apprentices are charged anything if they drop out of apprenticeships but you do need to be sure that the lack of any formal qualification won't hold you back in the future. It is great that your employers value you but you need to be sure where you stand re: future employment. Will a good reference from your employers see you through? Or, if your employer should happen to cease trading, or if you needed to move to another area could you get another equivalent job without formal qualifications?

As an employer I agree that apprenticeships can be very trying! My own very excellent retail apprentice who's being doing all sorts of stuff in the shop has only after almost 6 months got to the point of the 'taught qualification' part of her apprenticeship when it finally seems to be relevant to retail on a day to day basis. However bored she may have been by what went before and however irritated I have been by her course nevertheless it leads to paper qualifications and sometimes those are vital.

Jamie

Jamie

Congrats on being offered the permanent contract. I think you need to check with the 'provider' of the apprenticeship - a college or a company which provides tuition in the workplace - as to the implications. Or actually to be fair your employer needs to do so. If your employer has offered you a contract then it is really up to them to have checked if it will lead to any problems for them rather than it being your responsibility.

N.B. I don't think apprentices are charged anything if they drop out of apprenticeships but you do need to be sure that the lack of any formal qualification won't hold you back in the future. It is great that your employers value you but you need to be sure where you stand re: future employment. Will a good reference from your employers see you through? Or, if your employer should happen to cease trading, or if you needed to move to another area could you get another equivalent job without formal qualifications?

As an employer I agree that apprenticeships can be very trying! My own very excellent retail apprentice who's being doing all sorts of stuff in the shop has only after almost 6 months got to the point of the 'taught qualification' part of her apprenticeship when it finally seems to be relevant to retail on a day to day basis. However bored she may have been by what went before and however irritated I have been by her course nevertheless it leads to paper qualifications and sometimes those are vital.
This pretty much summed it up for you, great post.

I don't believe you need to pay or anything to drop out, it's just like when you're at college doing A-Levels.

kassyy

kassyy

After school I decided to improve my skills in IT, so wish me luck. Now I am learning some programming languages to understand what I want to work with in the future. The only thing I find difficult is creating databases so sometimes I need dbms assignment help. I found experts in this field who help me do some tasks and analyze my mistakes.