By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Accounting Software required: London Taxi Company

S

scott

HI

We are a taxi company Hummingbird Cars in London. We provide Airport Transfer service from all london airports.

We are new in the business and we require to buy a good accounting software. Can anyone please advice which software will be suitable for us as we are a small business and also which one will be relaiable and affordable.

London Airport Taxi Cab Transfer

Thank you

G

Gouldie0

Hi Scott,

Welcome to the forum, i hope you find it useful.

Regarding your question about accounting software, i think you need to take into consideration several things.

- Are you VAT registered?
- What is your turnover likely to be?
- Do you invoice for the jobs you complete?
- What style of customer do you service, i.e. corporate clients on a repeat basis or one off clients who call when your services are required.
- Are you just completing the bookkeeping work and handing over to an accountant or will you do the throught the cycle process and complete the necessary returns to HMRC, companies house (if limited co of course) etc.
- What do you currently use and do you feel comfortable progressing onto a software based system of managing your receipts / sales etc.

You have several options, Sage or Quickbooks in there various formats, Microsoft Accounting (Although this will no longer be supported by microsoft as it is moving to Mamut),then there's the VT software which is more spreadsheet based.

I'm sure the others will follow with there preferences, i would look at each and maybe try the demo's of each software to get a feel for what you will need to do.

If you need to chat further, just PM me your details and i'll give you a call.

Kind Regards

Neil

Adventurelife

Adventurelife

I depends on a whole host of factors. Are you going to be doing your own accounting or getting a book keeper to do it?

I use sage as that is what our book keeper was used to but I wanted to go online so we have moved the majority of our businesses to www.liquideaccounts.net which suits our business model.

There are many options though so you really need to work out what you want in advance and then get an option that works for you.

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

I guess you could look at this in two ways. If you're looking for accouting software then I would guess you're not used to using any and Neil's comments about utilising the trials is a good suggestion. On the otherhand you really need to be focussed on developing the business and I would suggest that you are wasting your time if you decide to spend it on trialling software etc.

At best you may pick the best software for your business and it's very suitable, at worst you could pick the wrong one and outgrow it very quickly. It's very important at the outset of a business to set good foundations and in this situation I would recommend a bookkeeper if you're not that experienced on the finance side. Thats not to say that you couldn't take over at some point in the future but it's good to get things set up the right way initially.

Maybe i'm a little biased coming from a finance background myself but i've lost count of the number of times i've had to pick up the pieces in businesses where people try to save a few quid by doing it themselves. It's all about opportunity cost, i.e for each hour that you spend "doing the books" how much does that cost in terms of losing the opportunity to develop the business.

Just my tuppence worth anyway :)

mediaslave

mediaslave

I am now using an online solution. I set it up in no time for my business(es) and it is very easy to use. I am no bookkeeping guru but it seems to really do everything you need.

Online Accounting Software: Small Business and Freelancers - FreeAgent

If you do end up using them I would be mad at you if you added my referral code: 3a39pykq

I generally don't refer anything, but this system has made my life easier. I have to add that I can only guess it will work for a taxi firm.

EmployEasily Legal Services

Express Accounts is good and allows you to download and use a free version but offers a more robut version for a fee.

Associates

Large Scale Plastic Moulding
Dexion Pallet Racking